Suffering from GERD. Having pain, discomfort and burning sensation in throat. Should I consult a doctor?

General Surgeon
I suffer from GERD. My throat is still raw and inflamed from acid sitting in my throat while asleep last night. I've tried water and baking soda as well as drinking milk to help calm the burning sensation. While it doesn't burn as badly, I'm still having pain and discomfort. Should I see a doctor today or let it pass?
Posted Sat, 24 Nov 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

You didnt mention if you have any diagnostics of GERD or it was recognized only by symptoms. It is strongly recommended to have upper GI endoscopy when such symptoms appear as acid reflux can be a symptom of peptic ulcer, Helicobacter Pylori infection and even stomach cancer. That is why such symptoms should not be neglected.
It seem that there is nothing urgent right now, but you need to make appointment to see your doctor as either your treatment does not work or you have been not diagnosed property.
You didnt also mentioned if you were prescribed with any medicines (I assume you were not). You should be prescribed with medicines blocking acid secretion.
To make acid reflux less disturbing you should reduce fatty foods, reduce coffee, soft drinks, fruit juices and chocolate intake. Do not eat two hours before sleeping and put your head little higher when sleeping.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.