Suffering from Foot drop problem. Suggest remedy and diet?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hello , My mother's age is around 60 and she is suffering from Foot Drop Problem.
May I know exercise to overcome this and it's remedy.
Foods/fruits which can help.
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Foods and Fruits will not help.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

There are numerous causes for Foot drop. Broadly speaking, the underlying causes includes -
* INJURY to the nerve at the level of knee joint, during any surgeries involving knee and hip joint, at the level of lower spine etc
* MUSCLE & NERVE DISORDERS which includes various forms of muscular dystrophies
* BRAIN & SPINAL CORD DISORDERS like multiple sclerosis , ALS , Stroke etc

The conservative management of foot drop includes -

* BRACES or SPLINTS -An Ankle-Foot-Orthosis (AFO) can be used to keep the dropped foot off the ground while walking if the patient has the functional use of their muscles, thus creating a more even and normal gait.
* PHYSICAL THERAPY - Exercises that strengthen the leg muscles and help maintain the range of motion in the knee and ankle may improve gait problems associated with foot drop. Stretching exercises are particularly important to prevent the development of stiffness in the heel.
* ELECTRICAL NERVE STIMULATION - this is only suitable for use if the nerves controlling muscle movement are not affected
* SURGERY - Surgery may be considered for those with permanent loss of movement from muscle paralysis. This usually involves transferring a tendon from the stronger leg muscles to the muscle that should be pulling the ankle upwards.
In rare cases, the bones of the ankle joint may be fused to stabilise the ankle.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further