Suffering from Candidiasis intestinally after taking high dose of prednisone for asthma control, what do you advise?

Hi there, I've been taking Symbicort 200/6 for 18 months now. My asthma is worse not better, & I need prednisone at least 3/4 times per year just to get by. I'm 59 years of age & female & have gained a lot of weight since starting on this new regime. My GP has not discussed or provided me with an asthma action plan, & I recently have had a bad spell. I've been taking 4 puffs twice daily to maintain after a big hit of prednisone to get my asthma under control.but the website indicates this is far too much. I'm very worried about my respiratory health. I have a bad case of candiasis intestinally at present/ What do you advise?
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that using steroids lead to weight gain so it happens to be a much anticipated event . Symbicort contains Budesonide which is a steroid and Formoterol which is a long acting beta agonist . I would recommend Short-acting beta2-adrenoceptor agonists such as salbutamol inhalers as the first line management for acute attacks rather than prednisolone . Ipratropium bromide , Tiotropium bromide should be used in conjunction with salbutamol for effective management . You should stop taking excess steroid as you are suffering from candida infection but it needs to be tapered under supervision . I will advise you to discuss these possibilities with your treating physician as he remains the best judge for your treatment . Take care. Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Suffering from Candidiasis intestinally after taking high dose of prednisone for asthma control, what do you advise? 11 hours later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX Thank you for your response to my question. I do use a salbutamol inhaler, ( Ventolin) when required. I've recently changed back from Respigen ( a generic brand here in NZ) which was causing acute hoarseness, to the point where I could barely talk. I discovered the Respigen was the culprit by accident when talking to another asthmatic. I understand this is not the only cause as the candiasis also causes loss of vocal performance. I have a cyst in my saliva gland which is to be removed on 23 XXXXXXX NZ time & am hoping to attend the asthma clinic post op. I used to use Flixotide preventer, with Oxis as a top up. Do you think I should revert back to Flixotide in a stronger dosage or use another preventer that is not a steroid? XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, I will advise you to to talk to your doctor regarding ipotropium and yes you can use Flixotide once your candidiasis is resolved . But a stronger dose is not recommended . Dr. Shruti