Suffering from Bipolar disorder. Looking for a suitable form of contraception

May 2013
I have Bipolar disorder and am looking for a suitable form of contraception. My boyfriend has a latex allergy and also seems to have a reaction to the latex free condoms so they are out. I have had a coil before but got a strep B infection and had to have it removed. I also had an implant but unfortunately became pregnant and subsequently had a miscarriage. I really feel like I am out of options apart from a pill but am worried that hormones might affect my BP symptoms. I really want a form of contraception that is easy to use but won't interfere with my moods in any way. Can you help?
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 5 hours later
thanks for the query.

you consult your gynecologist once and discuss following options and then with her advice you can choose one of them,

- Injections like depo-medroxyprogesterone acetate, which can be used monthly or 3 months once,
-Non hormonal IUD like copper containing,
-You can try natural methods like,
withdrawal method,
By following ovulation,
by rhythm method, or body temparature method you can have sex during safe period of the cycle.
-progesterone only pills are sometimes useful.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.