Suffering from B12 deficiency. Is it safe to start shot therapy?

My mother has a B12 deficiency and has been told that she needs to start B12 shots right away. I've read that you should not start the shot therapy until the cause of the deficiency has been determined. Can you please verify or advise.
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Vitamins
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in cardiology. I read your question with diligence.

I am a little perplexed. You are absolutely right that the treatment with substitution therapy like vitamins should not be started till the effect of deficiency has been established. That certainly does not mean that low levels in blood of a particular vitamin have been shown. Even if effects have been convincingly seen as you have written that your mother has B12 deficiency, the treatment should be started. So, what is the anxiety about? If you can elaborate I can try to answer. Regards.

With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
Medical Specialist & Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW