Suffering from B12 deficiency. Given methycobalmin. All reports normal. Reason for weakness?

Good evening Sir,

My husband is suffering from B12 deficiency,he was given methycobalmin (drug)injections -5 shots and also tabs.He is feeling very weak,every test done and all the reports are normal.Then why he is feeling weak?? Can you pls help us...
(Caldkindplus capsules and unicobol injection were given)
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Vitamins
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 11 hours later

Thanks for posting query.

In recent years, this deficiency is increasing due to faulty food habit and food style.

nervous system in well function.
It also helps to help in production of red blood cells, which carries oxygen to all body.

In B 12 deficiency, anemia results leading to decreasing oxygen supply to body, muscles, brain giving rise to extreme weakness, tiredness, fatigue and many a time affecting nervous system.

In the case of your husband, we should find out the cause of having B12 deficiency.

Junk food is the main cause of having this deficiency as due to this habit intrinsic factor responsible for B12 absorption is affected leading to deficiency.

Other causes are having chronic intestinal bacterial infection, worms etc.
Go for investigations and treat underlying causes.

Due to weak absorption of vitamin B 12, oral B12 medicine will not give satisfactory result.

So continue Vitamin B12 shots, 10 or 20 according to level of deficiency, which will decide by your treating doctor.

Add dairy products like milk, cheese, buttermilk, and curd in his diet.
In breakfast, add cereals fortified with B12.

In vegetarians, this deficiency is common so if he takes you can give some non-veg as well.

Give other multivitamin supplements as well.

With the treatment as deficiency improves, your husband will feel better and his all problems will be solved.

I hope, I answered your query.

If you have any clarification or query, please ask.

I will be happy to answer.

Dr. Ramesh Vachharajani.
Follow-up: Suffering from B12 deficiency. Given methycobalmin. All reports normal. Reason for weakness? 35 hours later
Hi Doctor,
Thanks a lot,One small clarification,as per his reports B12 count is 161.0pgml,as of now he has taken 6 shots can you suggest how many shots does he require to become normal.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 33 minutes later
Thanks for posting query again.
As he has completed six shots, now he can take four shots more and then for three months he can take B12 supplements orally.
Avoid junk food totally.
Avoid alcohol if he takes.
I hope, I clarified your your query.
Now if you do not have further query, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Convey my good health wish to your husband.