Suffering from Atrophy of muscles mainly right side. Hand and foot loosing strength with ankle and toe pain

Sep 2013

Dear Doctor, I am suffering from Atrophy of muscles, much of it is right sided. Muscles of right hand and right foot are losing their strength. There is severe pain in the right ankle and big right toe. There is tremor in the right hand. While walking or standing I sometimes lose my balance. I have the habit of chewing tobacco which I want to get rid of. I prefer homeopathic treatment. My email. XXXXX
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Low Vitamin Levels

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

I have read your question thoroughly and I can understand your problem. Weakness and atrophy of muscles may occur due to many reasons. First of all I would advise you to go for MR scan Head and Spinal cord to rule out any compressive lesion that may be a reason. Myealopathy is other possibility. If everything come normal then we can proceed further.

Go for complete hemogram and Vitamin B12 levels. Low Vitamin B12 levels are reason of myelopathy and should be ruled out. Loss of balance may occur due to low Vitamin B12 levels.

Other possibility is due to some vascular lesion in Basal Ganglia of brain. Chronic hypertension may lead to such problem. So get your BP checked.

Tobacco cessation can be done if there is enough motivation in you. I can't tell you about homeopathic medicines but a lot of allopathic medicines like Bupropion, Buspirone etc can be used to stop use of tobacco.

I would advise you to start taking Vitamin B12 supplements and you can take help of a doctor for balance problem. Betahistine tablets can control dizziness effectively.

Hope I cleared your doubt, if you have more questions you can ask again.