Suffering from Atrophy of muscles in hand and foot loosing strength. Pain in ankle and toe. Chewing tobacco

Allergist and Immunologist
Dear Doctor, I am suffering from Atrophy of muscles, much of it is right sided. Muscles of right hand and right foot are losing their strength. There is severe pain in the right ankle and big right toe. There is tremor in the right hand. While walking or standing I sometimes lose my balance. I have the habit of chewing tobacco which I want to get rid of. I prefer homeopathic treatment. My email. Id < YYYY@YYYY > From XXXXX
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need a MRI spine

Detailed Answer:

Atrophy or loss in muscle bulk is a serious condition that needs a full evaluation. Tremor with atrophy is more worrying but if the tremor affects the whole body both may be unrelated to just loss in muscle bulk (neuromuscular disorder).

However, prolonged use of steroids (Medral) can cause loss in muscle bulk or atrophy and therefore would recommend you visit a Neurologist to sort out these issues.
If the asthma is controlled with inhalers, you do NOT need Medral and can slowly stop taking it.
Tobacco chewing at this age (or any age) is HARMFUL and you must stop immediately.

Best Wishes.