Ask a Homeopath   »  

Suffering from Achalasia cardia, not able to swallow food and water. Partial improvement after dilatation. Homeopathic medicine?

I am suffering with achalasia cardia since one year. not able to swallow food and water freely. undergone dilatation but not much relief. Partial imporvement seen. is there any homeo medicine avilable to this.Please advise. or any other type of medications / food changes/ exercises to get some more relief
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Homeopathy
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 5 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query
I am sorry that that you are suffering from a rare esophageal motility disorder. The primary problems in this disorder are a nonco-ordinated contraction of esophageal body (aperistalsis) and lack of relaxation of the lower esophageal sphincter (specialised circular muscle) on swallowing. The exact etiology of this siorder is not known but a lack of nerves necessary for relaxation are defecient.
There is no perfect treatment for achalasia as of now as the pneumatic dilation and the surgery just take care of the nonrelaxing lower esophageal sphincter. The aperistaltic esophagel body cannot be treated as it is as of today not possible to regrow the nerves. Furhet when achalasia has been long standing the esophagus is hugely distended and atonic making things worse.
After pneumatic dilation the symptoms gradually improve as the edema secondary to the balloon rupture subsides. Eating food lesiurely, choosing warm foods over the cold ones, eating in upright posture there by using gravity to ones advantage and use of some prokinetics may help.
For advice regarding the homeopathic medications you need to consult a homeopathic practitioner or forum.
Hope this answers your query
Follow-up: Suffering from Achalasia cardia, not able to swallow food and water. Partial improvement after dilatation. Homeopathic medicine? 6 hours later

Iam satisfied with your answer, please prescribe me some prokinetics
and how long I have to use them. As I am staying in a remote place.

regards XXXXXXX sekhar
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 9 hours later
Hi and thanks for the reply
Please take mouth dissolving tablet of Domperidone 10mg thrice a day 15-20min before food. This you may have to take indefinitely as motility is a problem.
Hope you had your answers and feel free to get back incase of any doubts
Follow-up: Suffering from Achalasia cardia, not able to swallow food and water. Partial improvement after dilatation. Homeopathic medicine? 1 hour later

just now i have seen in internet about my desease/ disorder/deficiency. The material recommended some medicines . Please tell me whether these medicines are helpful.
My weight has been reduced from 75 in august 2011 to 68.5 kg as on today. This weight reduction is making me more misarable.
This is my last question.

" As the degenerative neural lesion of this disease cannot be corrected, treatment is directed at palliation of symptoms and prevention of complications. Effective peristalsis is rarely restored by successful treatment, but improved oesophageal emptying and a decrease in oesophageal diameter are generally expected. Four palliative treatments are available: pharmacotherapy, botulinum toxin injection, pneumatic dilatation and myotomy. They all aim to decrease LOS pressure and improve emptying by gravity.
Pharmacotherapy :
Smooth muscle relaxants alleviate symptoms and improve oesophageal emptying in up to 70% of patients. Nitrites, such as sublingual isosorbide dinitrite, and calcium channel blockers, such as diltiazem, nifedipine and verapamil, have this effect. The role of pharmacological agents in the long-term management of achalasia is unclear. It is not known whether their long-term use prevents dilatation and complications. This treatment option is suitable for patients with medical conditions that interfere with pneumatic dilatation or myotomy. Also, patients with severe weight loss can be treated pharmacologically until a healthy nutritional status can be re-established, making them better candidates for other forms of treatment.
Botulinum Toxin:
Botulinum toxin type A is derived from the controlled fermentation of Clostridium botulinum. The toxin binds to presynaptic cholinergic neuronal receptors, is internalised, and irreversibly interferes with acetylcholine release, probably by preventing the neurotransmitter vesicle docking and fusing with the axonal membrane. Pasricha and colleagues first demonstrated the similar ability of botulinum toxin to decrease LOS basal tone and improve symptoms in patients with achalasia. An initial, beneficial response at the level of the LOS occurs in 90% of patients, but symptoms reappear within a year in many initial responders.15 Side effects of this treatment are rare, but include chest discomfort for a few days after the injection and an occasional rash.
The best use of botulinum toxin injection in achalasia is still being explored, but this seemingly safe approach with little apparent morbidity may be of great advantage when a short-term treatment response is desired.
Hi and thanks for the query
The nitrates and calcium channel blockers are used temprarily while awaiting a definitive management. They are associated with side effects like hypotension, limb swelling and giddiness.
Botulinum Toxin injection is an alternative to pneumatic dilation. While in the short term it is as effective as pneumatic dilation it's effect wears off faster and repeat injections are less efficacious.
Further all of these like the pneumatic dilation taget only the spastic lower esophageal sphincter and have no effect on the aperistaltic body.
Hope this clears the wind