Suffered pulmonary embolism. Diagnosed with factor 5 leiden. Have dizziness and headache. should I go to A and E?

Question
hi
i suffered an polmonary embolism in november and i has since been diagnosed with factor 5 leiden. this morning in the gym i have had unusual dizziness and i have since had a very annoying headheach. Collegues have told me i look pale and have large eyebags in spite of have gotten 9 hours sleep. Should i go to A&E ? is it possible i have a clot in the brain?
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Guru 34 minutes later

Factor V Leiden deficiency is a mutation that can cause abnormal clots in blood vessels. We cannot be sure that the symptoms you described may be due to clot in brain or not. But these symptoms of severe headache along with dizziness in a person with significant past medical history require emergency medical attention.

A keen physical examination would give more idea whats going on with you. I personally feel that your clinical presentation and based on your past medical history, you need an emergency evaluation. Please visit a A & E at the earliest.

If you have any further questions, please let me know!
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows:
WWW.WWWW.WW

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Suffered pulmonary embolism. Diagnosed with factor 5 leiden. Have dizziness and headache. should I go to A and E? 28 hours later
Hi

I have been to the A&E and they have perfromed the following tests:
pressure
erg
chest x-ray
generic blood test and D-Dimer
arterial blood test
they ruled out clotting and heart condition.

they said that my chest pain ( it had gone away after having strong pains for half hour) was possibly muscular and headache was possibly due to dehydration

today around midday i have had again a shooting pain from the middel of my scapula through my chest where i feel pressure on both sides. What would you advise me to do ?

Answered by Dr. Guru 15 hours later

Thanks for the follow up and update!
Sorry for the delay in replying. I left for the day when you posted this follow up. I am happy to hear that there is no clotting or heart condition. As they suggested, after physical examination and investigations that it may be musculoskeletal pain, I suggest you to undergo physiotherapy to relieve your pain. You can use paracetamol to get some relief from pain, provided that you do not have any kidney or liver problems. However, if the pain is associated with shortness of breath or sweating or dizziness you need to see your treating doctor again.

WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish you good health.