Suffered massive anxiety and stress . Felling discomfort in throat and lump in throat. Remedy?

I have suffered massive anxiety and stress over the past two years. I get an upward swish like feeling in my chest and then a lump in the throat, and then I press the panic button. What do you think this could be?
Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 20 minutes later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.
Important aspects of your query are:
•     72 year old female
•     Known case of depression on anxit
•     Complaints of: anxiety and panic symptoms.

Anxiety is very common in depression. Other symptoms of anxiety which may or may not be present in your case: nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own health, tremor, muscle spasm, heaviness in body, easy fatigability, headache, sleep disturbance, palpitation and dry mouth.

Anxiety and depression occur due to neurotransmitters imbalance in brain most commonly involving serotonin neurotransmitter.

Apart from that thyroid problem also increases chances of developing anxiety. It is better to get evaluated for serum T3/T4/TSH.

There is need for treatment, if symptoms cause significant personal distress or affect personal/professional life. Both drug and non drug treatment like cognitive behaviour therapy (form of psychotherapy) are used for treatment. Choice of treatment depends on severity of symptoms, personal preference and availability of treatment.

In drug treatment of anxiety two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety benzodiazepines group of medicines (like anxit or alprazolam) are used for short duration (due to risk of dependence). For long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) are used for anxiety and depression, which is lacking in your current treatment. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect, till that time benzodiazepines control the anxiety symptoms. All these medicines are prescription medicine and given after in person examination by physician.

Apart from above advice following simple measures will help you:
-Decrease worrying by keeping yourself busy and distracted from worrisome thoughts by talking to family members or watching T.V. or counting back (100 to 0).
-Healthy diet: Milk and fruits in diet.
-Daily morning walk
-Breathing exercise, yoga and meditation (which you can learn from some expert in person)

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Suffered massive anxiety and stress . Felling discomfort in throat and lump in throat. Remedy? 16 hours later
Thank you for all your information andf advice. I will let you know how I progress in the next couple of weeks. Many thanks
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 4 hours later

It is my pleasure to help you.