Suffered heart burn. Feeling sick and painful. What should I do?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here...I have suffered with severe heartburn for 30 + years. The Drs. treat me with the same meds and it does not help. I am really at a loss. I am 63 and I am tired of feeling sickly and painful. I think they need to get a little more aggressive. What should I do?
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
At present you take pantoprazole and domperidone

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

You need proper clinical examination and investigations.
Investigations include routine hemogram,RBS,LFT,RFT,Lipid profile,Ultrasound of abdomen,Upper GI endoscopy and biopsy,ECG in all leads,Further investigations may be done if needed.
It seems that problem is due to chronic gastritis as your cardiac workup is normal.You should consult gastroenterologist.
Treatment can be done after proper clinical examination and investigations reports.
At present you can take tablet pantoprazole (40 mg) with domperidone (10 mg) combination twice daily for six weeks.

Get well soon
Hope i have answered your query.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Suffered heart burn. Feeling sick and painful. What should I do? 1 hour later
Thank you so much for your response. I apologize for being so brief before. My daily meds do include Nexium 40 mg b.i.d. and Ranitidine 150mg q. da. I have taken Nexium for 25 years. They have tried other meds over time but nothing seems to last. I am going to follow up with another gastroenterologist soon. What can I possibly take for break through which happens frequently? I don't won't to embarrass myself by going to the ER again.

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
At present,take tab pantoprazole and domperidone.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

At present you can take tablet pantoprazole and domperidone as already discussed.
You also need Upper GI endoscopy and biopsy. It will exclude H.Pylori infection also which may cause ulcer. Treatment of H.Pylori includes antibiotics, ulcer protective agents and antacids.

Get well soon
Hope i have answered your query.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX