Suffered from ulcer and took medication. Difficulty in swallowing and having gastric problem. Treatment?

Nephrologist
Question
I am a.c. Prabhu, MY age is 42, Asst. professor in Arts and Science college in Coimbatore.. I was suffered from Ulcer and took medicine by the advice of a.MS doctor. Slowly my ulcer is getting quite well... but last 3-4 weeks I find little hard when I swallow food especially solid foods some kind of irritation and low level pain I get when i swallow the solid foods, I drink water and make it easy . No vomit. No weight loss...my stools are in normal colour ... what is my real problem in my stomach ? I have gastric problem at times.
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to know your medications

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for the query

It looks like your anti gastric medications need to be optimized and also maybe some lifestyle changes needs to be done. Please get back to me with the following in order to help you better

1. Please let me know your eating habits on an average day?
2. Do you drink and smoke? If yes please let me know how much you do in a week
3. Please also type out the medications you are currently taking for the ulcer and also other medications you are on (if any)
4. Are you facing excessive stress at work? or in your family?

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Suffered from ulcer and took medication. Difficulty in swallowing and having gastric problem. Treatment? 59 minutes later
Please let me know your eating habits on an average day?

Morning light break fast at 7.15 AM.... tea and snacks at 11.00 AM... Lunch at 2.00 PM to 2.15 PM.... tea with light snacks at 5.00 PM.... Dinner at 9.30 PM

No smoke..... No Drinks....

Robijack D & Rabri tablets before food

Before 2-3 months , In my last job I was facing a lot of problems every day and every minute... lots of stress....so I quit and came out of the job... and joined this new institution. Now I am totally stress free but I got this problem only in my new stress free job. When the solid food touches my food pipe and stomach... I get pain... and find little hard to swallow... I drink water it makes easy to swallow... I can feel that the food touches my food pipe and stomach....small irritation and pain.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dosage adjustment required

Detailed Answer:

You are receiving the right treatment for the ulcer however instead of rabeprazole I usually recommend esomeprazole once in the morning and once in the night along with a prokinetic agent like mosapride once in the morning and night as it is longer acting and gives better relief. Please approach a gastroenterologist for a prescription.
Along with this I also recommend the following to you

1. Avoid tea until you are better
2. Avoid bending exercise
3. Have your dinner little earlier, maybe at around 8.
4. Avoid spicy food
5. Never skip food, always have it on time.

I hope I was of help, please get back to me if you have any further queries.

Follow-up: Suffered from ulcer and took medication. Difficulty in swallowing and having gastric problem. Treatment? 17 hours later
Thank you doctor for your good advice

I want to take an endoscopy test ? is it needed ? are taking medicine and food habits will cure me ?

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Re endoscopy will be a clinical decision

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for getting back

Since you have already undergone an endoscopy once I would advice you to take a repeat endoscopy after 3 months. Repeat endoscopy is required only if the pain persists even after 2 to 3 weeks of treatment and dosage adjustments.

I would like to add here that the best specialist to approach for this problem is a gastroenterologist and not a surgeon

I hope I was of help