Suffered from salmonella infection. Having nausea and light-headedness. What could be the reason?

Hi, I have a 23 year old son who is studying in CA. In July he suffered a severe case of salmonella but since then has symptoms of nausea, light-headedness and very tired. He ended up in the emergency room again 8/31 for these symptoms, but found nothing. He was put on a heart harness for 24 hours and they said that his heart is fine (even though he still complains about heart issues). Ever since he was a child his weight has been very low (6'3", 147lbs!) and always complained about some nausea while eating (he still complains to this day of this). His bowel movements seem normal, except for the fact that they are extremely large in width and length. Could there be something going in his gastrointestinal area? Also, several times in the past, he has woken up with his sheets soaking wet from sweat. He is very athletic. From what little information that I gather on the internet, he never complains about abdominal pain or bloating and rarely has diarrhea. He says he's tired of feeling these symptoms. Could you help a desperate mother in New Hampshire :-(. Thank you so much for your help in this mystery.
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please follow the suggestions below...

Detailed Answer:

I have seen the picture of your son you sent in, and there is nothing to be worried about in him.

Please give time to his body to completely cleanse from salmonella infection, it is only about 3 months that he has been cured of salmonella. He had suffered, so now, he needs more rest and time to get back to normal again.

Next, you are saying that your son complains of nausea while eating. Please try to change his diet menu, try to give him what he mostly likes, fresh foods, fresh fruits or vegetables, etc. This is until his gastrointestinal tract gets back to normal again.

Although the testing for Salmonella could be resulted ok, I'd suggest to repeat it after 3 months, after 6 months and after 1 year to prevent the relapse of the disease.

With regards to sweating during night, there are many factors, including anemia, thyroid and other hormonal problems.

For this, you can do complete blood profile (for anemia), thyroid hormones levels (T3, T4, TSH).

I would also suggest to do the copro-culture (culture of feces) for bacterial and candida, and fecal examination for ova/parasites to identify the cause of bloating, abdominal pain and hard feces.

Keeping a good hygiene (especially when preparing the food) together with eating healthy, drinking plenty of water (up to 3 liters /day) and being physically active would help overcome his problems that need time.

Hope it answered to your inquires! Do not hesitate to contact me for any other concern you might have!
Follow-up: Suffered from salmonella infection. Having nausea and light-headedness. What could be the reason? 19 minutes later
Thank you so much, Dr. Sejdini. I am very grateful to you for easing my concerns. I will do as you suggested on testing the salmonella. I have another question, if I may, he drinks a lot of sports drinks (Gatorade, PowerAde, etc.) because has lower/normal blood pressure. But he drinks them all the time, should he be concerned about too much sugar/salt from these drinks? Thank you again for your help.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The Sports drinks-reasons for nausea and bloating.

Detailed Answer:
Hi my dear,

The drinks he used to have are the real problems. Make him understand that all the sports drinks have too much sugar, sometimes they claim sugar-free, which is the worst.

They also contain soda, which makes the body overload with soda and makes him feel bloated and nauseated all the time.

I usually do not advise my patients to use such soft drinks, especially in young patients to avoid future problems such gastrointestinal as your son is suffering and diabetes in other cases or high blood pressure.

I usually recommend to drink natural water. If he likes juices, prepare him freshly squeezed naturally and with adequate hygiene.

Advise him to have freshly prepared fruit or vegetable juices (at least for 1 month) to get detoxified; advise to eat healthy and keeping a good hygiene.

I am pretty sure after 1 month, your boy will be with more energy as ever. You know what is the culprit, avoid that, live healthy and see the improvements coming soon.

All the best! You may ask other questions and I will try to guide you properly!
Follow-up: Suffered from salmonella infection. Having nausea and light-headedness. What could be the reason? 1 hour later
Thank you, doctor.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most welcome!

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome!

Hope the best for you and your son!