Suffered from heart palpitation and feeling shortness of breath. What could it be?

Question
Hi I'm 39 Ive been feeling a bit strange. I've noticed that I've started burping a lot when I'm in the gym. But it has persisted now when at home(not as bad as when in gym). I have been feeling a slight sensation around my heart on the left side. I've been feeling a bit short of breath but not sure if this was down to my asthma. I have also suffered from a heart palpitation thing since my early 20s. This is where a few times a year when in the gym my heart will go mad and start beating like crazy but will subside after about 2-3mins of resting. Thx
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Possible gastric condition; need cardiac exam Detailed Answer: Hello sir and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. Based on the provided description it sounds like you could be suffering from a gastric condition causing the burping, shortness of breath and discomfort on the left side. But, it is protocol to always conduct an ECG (EKG) when there is pain or discomfort on the left side of the chest, so please go ahead an request for the same at any clinic or hospital. As for the symptoms you are experiencing, this could be caused due to long gaps between meals, stress, dieting to achieve weight loss, smoking, alcohol, strenuous exercise, etc. I would advise you the following till the diagnosis is made: -Drink plenty of water, as many times a day to reduce/neutralize the acid in your stomach -Have small and regular meals -Avoid acidic food or drinks -Avoid/reduce smoking and alcohol -Try to reduce or avoid stress -If your exercise regimen is very strenuous, try to make it a tad more mild -And visit a doctor for an endoscopic examination (which will help visualize the interior of your gastro-intestinal tract), to find the exact cause for your symptoms Possible conditions can be: acid reflux, peptic ulcers, gastritis, etc. Now coming to the heart palpitations; this is also just a symptom sir, and we will have to look into the cause with a complete cardiac examination (eg. Treadmill test, 2D echocardiography, and an EKG). Please go about this at your earliest convenience, as this can in the long-run restrict your workout regimen. I hope you found my response both helpful and informative sir. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.

Follow-up: Suffered from heart palpitation and feeling shortness of breath. What could it be? 2 days later
Hi I was wondering. When your exercing and you put your hand over you chest to feel your heartbeating, should you feel a steady rhythm that way? As i was feeling a boom boom boom boom-boom(heavier thud than other beats) boom boom. Like there wasnt a steady rhythm. My heart feels like its been working harder latley when ive been working out. Can stress have an effect on all this?

Brief Answer: Not considered normal, but need to confirm Detailed Answer: Hello once again sir. Heart rhythm should be normal in healthy individuals, and the rhythm explained by you would not be considered normal. But it is also true that you cannot accurately measure your rhythm superficially in such a manner. Either way, as you have been experiencing strain on your heart and have a doubt about its functioning and rhythm, an EKG (ECG) and a treadmill test would be advised sir. I wiuld also personally like to add a 2D echocardiography to the list of investigations, which is a very good investigation and will surely inform us about the complete structure and functioning of the heart. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative sir. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. God bless.