Suffered from heart attack. Is there a level of lvsd that would not affect the life expectancy?

Question
Hi, I am a 33 year old female that suffered from a spontaneous coronary dissection of my lad which resulted in a heart attack.
The doc said I can make a full recovery however on my discharge letter it said I had
LVSD which I am lead to believe is heart failure. I'm confused
. Is there a level of lvsd that could be present that would not affect the length or quality
Of my life and this is why the cardio hasn't mentioned it and said I can completley recover?
I would really appreciate an answer as I am suffering from severe anxiety as a result of this. Thanks.
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in Heart Attack

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

LVSD is used to denote Left Ventricular Systolic Disfunction.

Symptoms of LVSD are due to decrease of ejection fraction to less than 45%.

If your doctor has mentioned diagnosis as LVSD only on discharge ticket, it creates doubt about whether you are suffering with spontaneous dissection of left anterior descending branch of your coronary artery and LVSD both or with LVSD only.

In your case, ischemia caused by spontaneous dissection of left anterior descending branch of your coronary artery, can cause LVSD.

Your Cardiologist will prescribe you treatment, to improve your left ventricular output. As per your Cardiologist, you can make full recovery. If you make recovery, there will be no problem. But if left ventricular function is not improved, it will affect your left atrium and left atrium will affect lungs and right ventricle & right atrium. Thus LVSD, if continued may affect length and quality of your life according to severity of failure.

Your prognosis depends upon severity of spontaneous dissection of left anterior descending branch of your coronary artery and damage done by it in the form of myocardial infarction. You have to discuss it with your Cardiologist.

Thank you for posting your query. Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

If you have further concerns in this regard, I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.

With good wishes,

Follow-up: Suffered from heart attack. Is there a level of lvsd that would not affect the life expectancy? 15 minutes later
Thank you for you're answer. On the discharge letter it said spontaneous coronary dissection, mi and lvsd. I just do t understand why they have told me I can make a full recovery? Can the left ventricle gain function after suffering from a heart attack? Can the heart repair itself? Can I get back to normal and also, how long does will it take for the dissected artery to heal? They did not stent it as blood flow was normal by the time I got to the XXXXXXX lab.

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 4 hours later

Welcome again,

Diagnosis written on discharge letter means, spontaneous dissection of left anterior descending branch of your coronary artery resulted in ischemia. Your cardiac pain (heart attack) was due to this ischemia, which caused MI (myocardial infarction) in left ventricle. Cause of Left ventricular systolic dysfunction is this MI.

As the ischemia was temporary, it is possible that permanent damage done to left ventricle of heart in the form of MI is also minimum, thus there are good chances of recovery.

Only your Cardiologist is in a position to explain you reports and the prognosis.

Let us hope that you recover fully as per your cardiologist.

Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

With good wishes,