Suffered from gout and bells palsy. On blood pressure and cholesterol medication. Will it affect liver function?

My mother has in the last year suffered from a bout with gout and bells palsy. She is on blood pressure and cholesterol medication and has taken some xanax for anxiety. I just wonder how much all of these medications affect liver function and if there is a way to detoxify the liver in order to treat the residual symptoms of bells palsy and gout recurrence?
Posted Fri, 10 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.
Usually medications that are taken for high blood pressure do not affect liver function. As far as the cholesterol medications are concerned, I believe she is receiving a statin ( and please correct me if I am wrong) and these drugs may affect liver function as well but this is not always the case. The only way we can find out is by doing a liver function test ( which would include a SGOT, SGPT, bilirubin levels). If the SGOT and SGPT levels are deranged and are more than 3 times the upper limit, the medication is usually stopped. In fact, people who do receive these drugs are regularly monitored with liver function tests.
Xanax does not affect liver function and you can stop worrying about this drug.
Detoxifying the liver will not help prevent recurrences of gout or treat residual symptoms of Bell's Palsy. What it can help achieve is a greater sense of wellbeing, improved energy levels and better overall quality of life.
These are the ways you can go about doing this:
a. Eat small, regular meals. This needs to be balanced and wholesome food.
b. Stay away from alcohol, undercooked non vegetarian items, and any non-prescription medication
c. XXXXXXX breathing exercises called pranayama can help improve circulation
d. Avoid a high fat diet. Also, take plenty of plain lemon water.
e. Exercise for 30-40 minutes daily

Hope this helps
Let me know if you need any more help.