Suffered from diarrhoea and now unable to pass stool. Noticed a white thread in stool. What can you advise me?

General Surgeon
Dear Doctor,

2 weeks ago i've been to china for 1 week. i was there from saturday 12th to sunday 20th. there i had at the end of the week 4 weeks of diarrhea, and now since i got back, in the netherlands, i cant seem to poop at all. sometimes i manage to poop but it happens very rarery and theres not much comming out of it, and i have to use a lot of force to get it out as well. now this weekend i got a fever as well. i got much dizzyness, and i start to get worried. my local doctor isnt open for appointments after 14.00 in the afternoon , which has passed now.
just in my last poop (this morning) i saw a white thread on it.. i dont know what it is. right now im actualy mostly concerned that i still cant poop (unless i use a lot of force.. and then i only get 1 or 2 little chunks of it)

what can you advice me?

With dear regards: XXXXXXX XXXX
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Chronic bacterial infection.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

What you are suffering from is chronic bacterial infection of intestines. This has appeared due to infection (kind of food poisoning) which has started during China travel. Every world region has different food bacteria. This bacteria can be XXXXXXX for tourists.
And this bacteria has replaced your regular good intestinal bacteria. And without this bacteria, your bowels can not function property.

Here is what you should do:
- start probiotic intake along with yogurt
- ask your doctor about Rifaximine treatment (should be taken 400 mg 3x1 for 7 days)
- if this wont help, stool test and stool culture test is necessary to determine which bacteria is affecting your intestines

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.