Suffered from a minor stroke. CT scan showed 7th brain nerve not functioning properly. What should I do?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013
Excellent

Neurologist
Question
Sir,
My father suffered from a minor stroke on 15th Oct' 2012. Upon appearance of initial symptom i.e. his face got bent towards one side, immediate medical attention was given.

Local doctors carried out brain CT scan and found almost normal except his 7th brain nerve is not functioning properly. Though he is still under medications as prescribed by doctors, presently his left side of the face is paralyzed. And we noticed that his face is getting more and more bent with passage of time.

Kindly advice what we should do.
Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Hi Mr XXXXXXX
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.

First of all, let me reassure you that your father is most likely not suffering from a brain stroke, but he has Bell's palsy.

In Bell's palsy, only the face gets paralysed, whereas in brain stroke, in addition to face, arm and/or leg also gets paralysed.

In Bell's palsy, treatment is with anti-viral medications, as the cause is thought to be a viral infection. In your father's case, he is getting anti-viral herpesafe 800 DT. In addition, vitamins are required for nerve recovery. He is getting remyelin for that.

Physiotherapy is also important. This includes facial exercises and galvanic stimulation. So, please consult a physiotherapist for the same.

With these measures, he would recover within a month.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: Suffered from a minor stroke. CT scan showed 7th brain nerve not functioning properly. What should I do? 13 hours later
Sir,
Thank you very much for your response.

We are planning to visit Apollo Hospitals, Delhi.

Grateful if you could kindly refer a relevant doctor in that hospital. Or else even if you can suggest whether we should seek appointment with neurologist or neuro-physiologist would suffice.

Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 26 minutes later
You can consult Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX a XXXXXXX and good Neurologist at Apollo Hospitals, Delhi. I know him well.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurologist)