Suffered fix followed with stroke. Lost memory and identification. Why can't he control urine? Remedy for memory?

My father is 79 years old. He had suffered fix and followed by stroke 4 years back.
He has been then treating by neurojist .After this incident he is not able to recall thing, He is even not sure whether he had food or not even had 5 minutes back. He can identity the person which had met prior to this incident. He repeat whatever he asks.
He is taking pills for sugar too. No BP.
Last week also he had a fix ,Immediate hospitalised and fortunately no stroke occured.
Discharged after 6 days.
Nowadays he is not able to control urination. it goes out before reaching toilet.
What is the remedy for this and improve memory . Understand that he his aged.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 24 hours later

Thanks for query

From the information it looks like he is suffering from poststroke seizures, dementia and urinary disturbances, probably neurogenic bladder. Seizures need to be controlled with appropriate dose of medicines in addition to the medications prescribed for prevention of secondary stroke and control of diabetes.

Reasons for recent memory loss and urinary disturbances is probably due to stroke related dementia, also called as vascular dementia. Urinary urgency could also be related to prostrate enlargement, myelopathy and cerebral causes like normal pressure hydrocephalus.

So I personally feel you need consult your Neurologist for a detailed cognitive as well as Neurological assessment for the cause of memory loss. Donepezil would be of benefit for vascular dementia. Choosing appropriate medication for seizures would prevent further attacks. Urodynamic studies along with ultrasound of the prostate gland & bladder would indicate the cause of urinary urgency.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful. If you have any additional concerns i would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist