Suffered epilepsy during malarial infection and during Chikangunia. Are both related?

Nov 2013

Respected Doctor, My nephew has attack of epilepsy on 2nd November,2013 (i was not there). When I reached to home, he was recovered within 10 minutes. He was suffering Chikangunia for 1 week. The same incidence was happened with my nephew before 4 years ago when he was suffering from Malaria. The incident occurred at school. At that time, we had consulted a Pediatrician and carried out EEG. The doctor's opinion was not epilepsy but due to weakness of high dosage for malaria. Are these two incidents interrelated ? Is it the epilepsy ? What do you recommend for further consultation?
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query regarding your nephew. I would like to consider a possibility of epilepsy in your nephew. In my opinion, both the episodes of fits are inter-related and we need to carry out further investigations to confirm the diagnosis. Further testing would include doing MRI brain epilepsy protocol in 3 Tesla MRI machine and electroencephalography (EEG). People with epilepsy tend to have fits with high fever or lack of sleep. This could explain the fits with malaria and chikun gunya. I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad