Suffered cut by shaving razor. Could I get infected with Hepatitis C?

Dear doctor

3 days ago I bought a blazer for shaving like shown here. I bought it from this website

This blazer doesn't contain an edge. But it is sharpened.

I got it today (it took 2 days untill it arrived (I think something like 50 hours) )

When I got it, it was very sharp and I have had a small cut which caused little blood. Before use I couldnt see any blood on it, Also the blazer was covered with a kind of greecy cream I think to protect it.

So I just started thinking about it and if I could get infected with hipatitis C. I don't think HIV because it does not survive that much outside body.

I think I have a big chance if that thing was used before by an infected somebody who has hipatitis C this will mean I am now infected too. Or am I doing to paranoid now?

By the way, I am a little paranoid

Once again, I did not see any dried blood or fresh blood on it.

Does microscopic blood cells transport the C virus in this case ( or the cream on the blazer can kill the virus?)
By THE way, i am not very Sure THE cut is caused by THE brazor. Might be Also something else.

But Just wanted to know if i have now à big risk
Thanks for advise
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Firstly let me reassure you that you have zero chance of getting Hep c infection with that kind of exposure.

hepatitis C virus (HCV). People who may be at risk for hepatitis C are those who:

Have been on long-term kidney dialysis

Have regular contact with blood at work (for instance, as a health care worker)

Have unprotected sexual contact with a person who has hepatitis C (this is much less common, but the risk is higher for those who have many sex partners, already have a sexually transmitted disease, or are infected with HIV)

Inject street drugs or share a needle with someone who has hepatitis C

Received a blood transfusion before July 1992

Received a tattoo or acupuncture with contaminated instruments (the risk is very low with licensed, commercial tattoo facilities)

Received blood, blood products, or solid organs from a donor who has hepatitis C

Were born to a hepatitis C-infected mother (this occurs in about 1 out of 20 babies born to mothers with HCV, which is much less common than with hepatitis B).

Share personal items such as toothbrushes and razors with someone who has hepatitis C (less common).

It is very uncommon to get Hep c by razor injury.

If the person with Hep C has used razor and has visible blood on it and after that you use it and have a cut then also chances of transmission are very very low.

Virus gets deactivated in 2 days outside human host.

So again I would like to reassure you that you dont have any risk of Hep C with this kind of exposure.

Hope Ive answered your query.

Will be available for any follow up queries.

Dr Sudarshan
Follow-up: Suffered cut by shaving razor. Could I get infected with Hepatitis C? 10 hours later
Thanks for your answer doctor.
But I was reading that the virus can survive up to weeks.. Somewhere else I read 4 days on room temprature.

Well here in Europe it is cold (+- 5 degrees). So the virus can even survive more. Dont forget that the Blazor was despatched in a plastic envelope..

So if there was microscopic blood cells on the blazor mentioned, even then I would not be infected?

I know I am talking rubish, I am talking like, what if when I walk on street and a plane crashes on my head?

I am just not confortable and dont know why I tried this thing...

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 6 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Virus survival is temperature dependent at lower temperature it can survive upto week or more.

Still you have got very remote chances of getting Hepatitis C.

I advise you to get tested for hepatitis c ,so you will get the thing out of your mind for sure.

Hope you find this useful and will accept the answer.

Dr Sudarshan
Follow-up: Suffered cut by shaving razor. Could I get infected with Hepatitis C? 1 hour later

I can understand you are quite sure that I don't need to be worry? If so I just don't need a test.

I can feel that you are advising the test just for the peace of my mind but you are not really concerned that I would have been infected.

That all if there was somebody had a cut with this razor and had a hep c. :)
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 5 hours later
Hi dear,

Hope Ive made myself clear and you have got answer to your query.

Dr Sudarshan