Suffered constipation. Could continue colonoscopy due to blockage. Barium enema procedures also failed. What can be done next?

General Surgeon
Hello Dr., I am a57 yr old woman who has suffered from constipation all my life. In a resent colonoscopy my doctor found he couldn't continue due to blockage. This week, the clinic has tried twice to have a virtual colonoscopy procedure done, but both failed due to the fact that blockage is still there. For two days I did the barium enema procedures, still to no success. They want to try for a third time, in about a week. If I fail the third try, what would be next for a complete exam?
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Colon Cancer
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Surgery should be done.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Intestine blockage in the colonoscopy is far enough to make a decision about a surgery. There is no other way in bowels obstruction treatment. You should not wait any longer especially if you have problems with passing stools. Waiting with the surgery can cause kidneys failure, sepsis what can be life threatening.

Lets make it simple. The fact is that you have an obstruction. Even if you will get precise answer from diagnostics, this wont treat the obstruction. That is why you should:
- consult general surgeon as soon as possible
- surgery should be done
- during the surgery tissues can be checked under the microscope (by a pathologist); in case of cancer, half of large intestine should be removed; if no cancer, usually a small part needs to be removed

Please do not wait for next tests. This can cause perforation and stoma might be necessary.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Suffered constipation. Could continue colonoscopy due to blockage. Barium enema procedures also failed. What can be done next? 14 minutes later
Thank you Doctor!! I thought I would need surgery as well. It just seemed like things were moving very slow toward that solution. I appreciate your advice and answer.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Well, your situation seems to be clear and no need to complicate it with more tests. It just delays your treatment. Just visit the surgeon with tests you already have.

Hope this will help.