Suffered chest pains, pressure, left arm numb and tingling in leg. Suggested to reduce cholesterol and weight. Suggest?

Dec 2012

Hello. First, I would like to tell you that I was at the ER last week for chest pains and I am fine. this is not an emergency. I had chest pain and pressure, left arm numb and tingling and throbbing, burning sensation in my left leg. They ran all the tests needed to determine if I had heart problems including giving me an ekg, ecg and stress test. After my ER visit, they admitted me till the next day late morning. Doctor told me that my heart was fine. I needed to lower my cholesterol and lose some weight. I am a female about 5'4" about 175. I have lost 10 pounds and I am down to 165. I had a similar problem in 09 diagnosed as costochondritis. Strange that it is only this or is that all it is. I was in the military for 6 years when I was in my early 20's. I am now almost 45.
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Unspecific chest pain difficult to determine

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

It is often difficult to determine the actual cause when faced with unspecific chest pain associated to symptoms that seem to be unrelated. My first impression would rather be angina pectoris or coronary artery diseases (without including heart attack of course in your case). Angina is a common cause of chest pain (pain originated from obstruction or occlusion of the coronary artery) which is usually acute and heart can present as normal on EKG. I believe that is why your doctor asked you to lower cholesterol and lower weight as they are a major risk factor of angina pectoris and even heart attack.
My second impression is costochondritis which is also common, usually occurs for a very short time. It is also possible that severe anxiety disorder can result to that type of pain.
I suggest you follow doctor's instructions and also get your blood pressure regularly checked.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: Suffered chest pains, pressure, left arm numb and tingling in leg. Suggested to reduce cholesterol and weight. Suggest? 16 hours later
Dr. Nsah,
One more part of this mystery is that these two attacks have happened at night when I am totally relaxed and asleep. Whenever I took my pressure last Monday NIght it was 115/73 and pulse was about 70-73. When I was relaxed and at the hospital it was 104/66 and 70. I do appreciate your answer that you gave me. I will be following up with another doctor in a month but really wanted to get a couple of ideas before I can make the proper life changes. I have been juicing and eating foods that help reduce my cholesterol. Your advice is appreciated. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
stable angina pectoris

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome and i am happy to be able to help. Stable angina pectoris can cauae chest pain that can attack while resting and also anxiety disorder.
Just consider and continue the counseling provided by your doctor.

Dr. Nsah