Suffered by hapatoslenomegaly. What is the cause root for cirrhosis. How to get cured completely?

My wife is suffered by hapatoslenomegaly.just 4 months back we came to know this.recenty,as doctor prescribed she had undergo 24 hr urine copper medical test.that result indicates as normal.still we couldn't found the cause root of her cirrhosis.How can she get healing from this disease completely?we have done almost all test suggested by gastroenterologist.Please help us and give your valuable feed back to shrink her liver and spleen .howlong take to heal to turn normal life.Shall we have protected intercourse.according to doctor we have maintaining the gap. It will be appriciatable if you send your mail ID to send her all diagnostic report for come to a conclusion and tratment.
Posted Mon, 15 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 49 minutes later

I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini, Gastroenterologist and I would be pleased to answer your questions.

The liver would be shrunken and not enlarged in liver cirrhosis.
I would like to review her reports to understand her problem better. Therefore I would be glad if you can upload the reports here using the site's uploader. I can go through them and give the opinion.

I would also like to have some more information.

1. What symptoms does she have?
2. Why were these tests done?
3. Was liver function test done?
4. Was ultrasound scan/ CT scan of the abdomen done?

Kindly get back to me with the answers and I would give my opinion.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow-up: Suffered by hapatoslenomegaly. What is the cause root for cirrhosis. How to get cured completely? 9 hours later
Hello Sir,
First of all thanks to your interest .
Initially she got severe fever.So that i had admitted her at hospital in Pune .After dioagnosed ,the doctor told me that she lost hey body immunity power due to less platelet count in blood.lot of test had taken to find our the cause of reduced platelet count.finally the doctors concluded that due to liver cirrhosis, her spleen have been enlarged, so that the platelet was reduced.
For find out the root cause of cirrhosis,lot of test was taken according to doctor instruction.after stop the fever completely, she was discharged from hospital.after one week from discharge,another issue came.continious nausea,vomitting was happened to her.she didn't had even water.
After that i had brought her to Madurai for further treatment.
All reports like x XXXXXX,Ultra sound, CT scan , endoscopy ,MRI and other test reports have been uploaded here.Please check it.I am eagerly waiting for your reply and let me know the diet for her also to heal this problem.

Now only some symptem presents . Her stomach seems like 7 months pregnant.Her period cycle was last 18.09.12.But still the period not came this month.

we have 10 months old baby also.Doctor advised to not lift weight.So she couldn't take her son itself.She is avoid the salt completly since last month.B protein powder ,complan and boiled soya also has given with her this harmful to her?Please let me know?
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 40 hours later
I went through the reports you have attached here.
There is nothing suggestive of cirrhosis.
As I told earlier, in cirrhosis the liver would shrunken and not enlarged and also the surface would be nodular.

As per the doppler study, she is having features of portal hypertension.
Cirrhosis is just one of the causes of portal hypertension. But she is not having portal hypertension due to cirrhosis. She most probably is having non-cirrhotic portal hypertension.

I would suggest that a second opinion be sought in this regard from a MEDICAL gastroenterologist.

It seems that you are from Madurai. I can suggest you a Medical gastroenterologist in Madurai - Dr.Shameem Ahamed , Medical gastroenterologist, XXXXXX nagar, Madurai.

If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow-up: Suffered by hapatoslenomegaly. What is the cause root for cirrhosis. How to get cured completely? 1 hour later
Hello Sir,
Thanks your reply.I hope ,you might be seen the 2nd attachment of MRI scan report & 24 Hr urine copper test also.

Thanks again to ask me 2nd opinion With Dr.Shameem ahamed.Sure I could be do. I have some doubts. I request you to clear it. Please.
1. She was missed her period this this any bad symptom means that this indicates the severity of the disorder? Shall she contact Gynecologist to take medicines for correct her period cycle?
2. According to you, this non-cirrhotic portal hypertension is curable? Should she take any special medicine? How we can control or eradicate this disorder? Please advise .Now she completely avoided Salt & Spicy. If not curable, what is next stage? I don’t like to lose her.
3. When or how her liver and spleen will become its original size as both them was enlarged in size according to MRI report.
4. Is the same disorder might affected my son when she was conceived him?
5.Please let me know your clinic details.When i come to chennai next week i would like to XXXXXX you .

Please eagerly i am waiting for your reply.

Thanks & Regards,

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later
Thanks for the follow up questions.
I saw both the reports.

1. It is difficult to say whether the missed period is due to this condition. In her report I saw that her hemoglobin was low (10.1 gm%) 2 months ago. I dont know about her present hemoglobin level. Many factors play a role in the regular monthly period. It is wise to consult a gynecologist for her menstrual period problem.

2. I have just mentioned about the possibility of non cirrhotic portal hypertension from the details provided. It has not been confirmed yet. We can discuss about that particular condition after it is confirmed. As suggested, you can consult Dr.Shameem for a re-evaluation of her condition.

3. This again can be said only after confirming the diagnosis. If it is non cirrhotic portal hypertension, the spleen may not regress to the normal size. As per the ultrasound scan, the liver is not enlarged. The MRI report says, the liver is enlarged. Hence a re-evaluation regarding the liver size should be done.

4.No non cirrhotic portal hypertension is not hereditary in all cases.

5. I would be in Bangalore, next week. You can consult Dr.Shameem in Madurai itself. We were colleagues for sometime. You can tell him my name while consulting.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow-up: Suffered by hapatoslenomegaly. What is the cause root for cirrhosis. How to get cured completely? 2 hours later

Thanks to your reply. I understood her condition now. Now i feel comfortable little bit.
Finally i would like to ask one advice from you.
In this current situation, what diet she would take?
Now she is drinking Milk mixing with B protein powder. As well as she also having boiled soybeans. As we are vegetarian, she is having idly and normal rice with Dal.
There is no coffee or tea served to her.She is Drinking complan milk also. is it right diet this?
Should you suggest and special diet for control her disease?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 41 minutes later
If it was cirrhosis, it would have lead to complications like fluid accumulation in the body in which case salt restriction should be done.

But since it is not cirrhosis and none of the reports say she has fluid accumulation, there is no need for salt restriction ( which you have mentioned in one of your posts).

There is no need for any special diet. Just nutritious diet will do. Whatever she is eating now is good and adequate.

Kindly get back to me after your consultation with Dr.Shameem.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini