Suffered a severe reaction to penicillin. Had bad rashes. Received steroids and antihistamines. Scars still there?

Hi, my 5 year old son suffered a severe reaction to penicillin. He was covered head to toe in a nasty rash. Penicillin was stopped and he received steroids and antihistamines. Now 10 days on, the rash has faded but left behind purple scars all over his body. Is this likely to fade and what can we do to help it?
Posted Sat, 26 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 11 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.
You need not worry as these purple spots will fade soon and go don't have to do any thing for this.
Continue the medicines as per the instructions of your doctor.
I hope this helps.
You can revert to me for any other query.
Thanks and best of luck.
Follow-up: Suffered a severe reaction to penicillin. Had bad rashes. Received steroids and antihistamines. Scars still there? 7 minutes later
Is this likely to by post inflammatory hyperpigmentation? How long do these sort of spots generally last?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
This could be a normal skin rash due to reaction to penicillin or a post inflammatory hyper pigmentation.If it a normal reaction rash then it should go away in next few days however if it is due to post inflammatory pigmentation thenĀ hyperpigmentation may gradually lessen over time and normal skin colour will return. However, this is a long process that may take up to 6-12 months or longer. Patients should be advised to use a good broad spectrum sunscreen daily to reduce further darkening.
In such a scenario your doctor will be able to tell the best course of treatment to be adopted as there are various cosmetic treatments available.