Suffered a severe TBI. What does bottoming out mean?

Nov 2013

In XXXXXXX 2009,,I suffered a severe TBI,,and during the coma my blood pressure XXXXXXX to 187,,my family was told I had bottomed out and the clinic was on their on the way to takes organs.. What does that mean What does bottoming out mean? thank you
Posted Sat, 8 Dec 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I wish to congratulate you for a remarkable recovery from the stage of near brain death to an excellent brain recovery!

Bottoming out is not a frequently used term in medical practice. However, in your case, bottoming out may mean herniation of brain- due to severe brain swelling, part of brain descends along the foramen magnum (the opening through which spinal cord comes out).

This is a very critical situation for brain, and recovery is rare. It needs medications to reduce brain swelling, mechanical ventilation (artificial respiration) and surgery in some cases.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad.