Suffer yeast infection and bacterial vaginosis. Prescribed Flagyl and diflucan. Noticed blood in stools. Side effects?

Question
On Wednesday I went to gynecologist and was found to have a yeast infection and bacterial vaginosis. Was prescribed 500 mg flagyl 2x daily for 7 days and diflucan for yeast. I did not begin flagyl until Sunday due to going out of town for the 4th of July and alcohol consumption. Today was my 3rd full day on the flagyl and I have blood in my stool. Also, very severe vaginitis. What should I do? Is the bloody stool a side effect of the flagyl? Also, when should I expect my vaginitis symptoms to subside?
Posted Mon, 5 Aug 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 17 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
The flagyl per se does not cause bleeding but rarely can cause pseudomemranous colitis and bleeding. In that case you need to consult a physician of your locality.
In any case stop the metrogyl.
There is a intra-vaginal tablet of tinidazole and clotrimazole called Candid-V.
It should be inserted in the vagina at bed time for one week.
It can be greatly helpful for you.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!

Follow-up: Suffer yeast infection and bacterial vaginosis. Prescribed Flagyl and diflucan. Noticed blood in stools. Side effects? 4 minutes later
I am not taking metrogel. Was only prescribed flagyl (metronidazole (oral)). Main question is should I be concerned enough about the bloody stool to go to an urgent care or will I be okay until morning when I can call my doctor?

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome back to healthcare Magic!
The blood in stool if significant amount can cause falling of BP to low levels and may endanger life.
It should be evaluated by a doctor urgently and managed simultaneously.
Obviously you should consult as soon as possible.
Take Care!