Suffer with lupus. Synovectomy surgery left with a hypnic jerk. Having edema and tendonitis in ankle. Cure?

General Surgeon
I have a haemaglobin of 10.4 and suffer with lupus feeling rubbish. Had synovectomy surgery in January as left knee inflammed. Contracted c diff after surgery and admitted to hospital again. Left with a hypnic jerk at night after surgery. Got arthrofibrosis after surgery, had manipulation to correct but still no improvement.My right knee also inflammed last month with edema and tendonitis in right ankle. Had an aspiration and steroid injection to try and improve condition. feeling constantly nauseous and sweating profusely at still having bowel problems ans awaiting app with gastro team. could be colitis. Depression too. give me some advice please.
Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

I do not know if I will be able to help you from here (as I am unable to perform physical examination) but will try my best.

As Lupus is an autoimmune disease which affects whole body, it can also affect your digestive tract. Moreover, inflammatory bowels diseases can give symptoms from other parts of body before its manifestation in the bowels.
I do not know if your Lupus is really lupus or just a skin and joints manifestation of Crohns disease.
Typical Crohns disease symptoms are diarrhea, abdominal pain, low hemoglobin level. This symptoms may appear and disappear periodically. Weight lost and fatigue is also characteristic.
Other possible bowels disease is Ulcerative Colitis which symptoms are quite similar to Crohns.
Ferrous fulmarate is a medicine which very often gives nausea, stomach pain, bowels problems and black stool.
Gastroenterologist visit is a very good idea. To diagnose inflammatory bowels disease colonoscopy is necessary with samples collection.
If you have to wait weeks for your gastroenterologist visit, you may ask your GP about anti-inflammatory medicines used for bowels inflammations like Mesalazine.

Hope you will find it helpful. Feel free to ask further questions.