Suffer with catar. Suffering from cold and flu. Solution?

I believe that I suffer with catar , I have a cough that is most prominent in the evening, I'm not suffering from a cold or the flu. I've seen many medical professionals and no one seems to be able to offer a solution ............ Do have any possible solutions ??
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hello, thanks for using healthcare magic

Chronic cough (cough lasting longer than 8 weeks) is actually the most common reason for a medical visit in an ambulatory care setting.
Research has shown that the most common reasons for chronic cough are the following: (1) upper airway cough syndrome (2) GERD and (3) cough variant asthma

The three of these make up what is called the triad of chronic cough.
There is also another cause called nonasthmatic eosinophilic bronchitis. This is common as well and easy to treat.

Upper airway cough syndrome-this refers to sensation of secretions from the nose and sinuses that drain into the pharynx. You may actually be unaware of the post nasal drip, 20% of persons are actually unaware of this drip.This is the most common reason of chronic cough- 87% of patients with chronic cough have this condition. It would also be worse on the evenings when there is a slight drop in temperature

Asthma - this is another cause of chronic cough. There are some persons who only have the cough aspect of this condition

GERD-cough is thought to occur as a result of two reasons in this condition- (1) aspiration of contents into the pharynx and (2) exposure of the esophagus to acid results in a cough reflex

Nonasthmatic eosinophilic bronchitis- also common. Eosinophils are a type of white blood cell. In this condition the eosinophils infiltrate the bronchi (air passages in the lung), this results in variable obstruction of the lungs . It is easily treated with inhaled steroids.This condition is diagnosed by a test of your sputum which would show the eosinophils.

Some medications such as ACE inhibitors used in high blood pressure and heart failure can also cause a cough.

A chest x XXXXXXX should be done

BEcause upper airway syndrome is the most common cause this should be treated first.
This would involve allergy testing to identify any irritants and avoiding any allergens and irritants.
In addition you may want to consider the use of anti histamines and oral decongestants as well as a topical nasal spray. It can take 2 weeks for a response, though it can take months in some persons.Your doctors can suggest which ones are available in your area.

Asthma is only considered after the above treated is started and tried for a trial period.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions