Suffer with Obstructive sleep apnea. Taking medicines for hypertension and diabetes. Feeling discomfort disturbance in sleep. Help?

Pulmonologist
Question
I AM SUFFERING WITH OBSTRUCTIVE SLEEP APNEA , DIAGNOSED IN XXXXXXX 2007. USING AUTO CPAP MACHINE SINCE THEN. ALSO TAKING MEDICINES FOR HYPERTENSION SINCE 2003 & DIABETES SINCE 2011.
RECENTLY I HAVE GOT EXAMINE FOR HYPERTENSION & DIABETES AT APOLLO HOSPITAL & EVERY THING WAS FOUND IN ORDER AS FAR AS HYPERTENSION & DIABETES IS CONCERNED.

MY PROBLEM IS THAT I AM FEELING DISCOMFORT & DISTURBANCE IN SLEEP. SINCE LAST TWO MONTHS MY SLEEPS GETS DISTURB AROUND 3 AM. I GO TO BED AROUND 10.00 PM & GET SLEPT USING CPAP BY 10.30 OR 11.00PM. I DON'T FEEL FRESH WHOLE DAY & IT IS LIKE THAT I AM NOT USING ANY CPAP MACHINE & COULD NOT SLEEP IN THE NIGHT. WHAT TO DO PLEASE ADVISE.

A COPY OF SIX DAYS REPORT TAKEN FROM THE CPAP MACHINE I AM USING IS ATTACHED. PLEASE ADVICE WHERE IS THE PROBLEM.
WITH REGARDS,
S K XXXXXXX
6-GA-14 XXXXXXX NAGAR,
JAIPUR
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 4 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

I have gone through your query and it your CPAP does not seem to be working for you. I will suggest following measures:

1. Go for a complete check up which should include a complete physical examination by your physician and a complete lab work up which should include a thyroid function test and a arterial blood gases.

2. An ECG and an Echocardiogram to rule out any heart condition.

3. An x XXXXXXX chest to rule out any underlying chest condition.

4. Avoidance of alcohol and smoking if applicable.

5. Weight reduction may help.

6. Get The CPAP machine checked from your supplier for any mechanical defect.

7. Your CPAP settings may require adjustment as the disease may worsen in the course of time. Consult your pulmonologist for this.

Follow-up: Suffer with Obstructive sleep apnea. Taking medicines for hypertension and diabetes. Feeling discomfort disturbance in sleep. Help? 1 hour later
I HAVE GONE THROUGH COMPLETE PHYSICAL CHECK UP & CLINICAL EXAINATION BY A COMPETENT XXXXXXX PHYSICIAN, INCLUDING THYROID & ECG DURING FIRST WEEK O THIS MOTH. CHEST X XXXXXXX ETC. EVERYTHING GONE NORMAL .
I DON’T SMOKE & NEVER USE ALCOHOL.
I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT EXACTLY IS TO BE DONE SHOULD I CHANGE MY CPAP MACHINE. BECAUSE IT IS CHINESE MODEL. OR THE SETTING NEED TO BE CHANGED?
WHAT IS LEARNT FROM THE READING OF THE MACHINE i.e. THE REPORT I HAVE ATTACHED WITH THE QUERY.
PLEASE ADVICE IN DETAIL I DON’T HAVE ANY PUMONOLOGIST THAT IS WHY I HAVE CONSULTED YOU SIR.
WITH REGARDS
S K XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX

It`s good to know that you have already done what i have advised.

If all is ok i suggest, you check your CPAP to rule out any mechanical problem with it. If that is also ok, you may need to change the settings as the disease may have worsened. If you don`t have a pulmonologist, you may consult a critical care specialist. I may not be able to comment on the report attached by you as i am not familiar with the terminology used there. Only thing i have been able to gather is that probably you are not having many apnoeic episodes which is a good sign. But again i am not sure and only the supplier or doctor who has used it will be able to tell.