Suffer swollen ankles. Family history of Lupus. Arthritis blood test normal. Help?

swollen ankles for months never reduce in size had arthritis blood test,had urea and electrolytes done all normal.Family history of lupus had test fir this normal.Don't know the caus blood pressure normal.Have had private lymph massage made no diiference.Can you help?
Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I would first of all love to know simple parameters with respect to you as: your weight and your height. for how long have you been having this swelling? Do you experience any pain or not? do you have any history of heart disease, liver disease, kidney disease or rheumatoid disease? Any fever, weight loss, loss of appetite or nausea?

I would be necessary to know at what time exactly the swelling is most felt. In the morning, afternoon or evening? Does the swelling present depressions when compressed or not?

A complete clinical evaluation by an internist is required. swelling could generally be due to kidney, heart, liver, systemic, inflammatory or rheumatoid disease. Thrombophlebitis and venous compression or venous incompetence could lead to limb swelling.

A proper clinical evaluation and oriented laboratory and radiology guided tests, asked by an INTERNIST could be very useful. Thanks so much and kind regards and do not hesitate asking further questions if need be. thanks and kind regards.

Bain LE, MD.

Follow-up: Suffer swollen ankles. Family history of Lupus. Arthritis blood test normal. Help? 6 hours later
Thanks for the response.I am 170 cm tall weight 73 kg family history renal failure maternal mother had lupus no family history of heart conditions.Swelling is not as noticeable in the morning gets worse as day goes on and worse in the hot weather and sitting for long periods in the car.No pain just a feeling of tightness&fullness due to the swelling.After cycling the swelling is slightly reduced.I do have night sweats but think this is due to the menpause.Many thanks.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the clarifications.

I really do suggest a rheumatologic condition (Rheumatoid arthritis, Lupus, mixed osteoarthritis) needs to be formally excluded. Considering that other above cited conditions could also be possibilities, consulting an internist first, for a proper clinical review is important. His clinical findings and laboratory and radiologic assessment shall determine whether other specialists like a rheumatologist will be needed to intervene in the management process or not.

I strongly feel you consult an internist. thanks and hope this helps. Wishing you good health and kind regards.

Bain LE, MD.