Suffer shaky trembling sensation, frequent urination and pins and needles. Connected with the thyroid?

Question
Hi Doctor. I am a 50 year old woman. For over a year now I have had many odd symptoms, mostly at night.
A shaky trembling sensation that feels a bit like sitting on an engine. The shaking is not visible to others, and is very strong at night. During the day, I notice it when I’m sitting or standing still. At first I thought this was my heart, but tests showed my heart to be fine.

I also have noticed other symptoms like increased need to pee, getting very thirsty (again at night), pins and needles (a lot), occasional fluttering at the back of my head, occasional pain on the right side of the middle of my back, a tenderness in my neck on the left front side.

My periods have become very irregular so I tried to find out if my symptoms were pre-menopausal. My gynaecologist did not recognise the shaky/trembling sensation. My doctor has done tests (thyroid, brain scan, blood tests etc) and found no major concerns.

The only other information I have been able to find on the internet that explain my symptoms seem be connected with the thyroid.
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not likely to be due to menopause.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The shaking/ trembling sensation with pins and needles sensation can be due to parasthesias and anxiety attacks. It can also happen due to diabetes, stroke, multiple sclerosis and underactive thyroid. Abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body and a lack of vitamin B12 can also cause such sensations.

Firstly, I’ll request you to get your blood sugar/HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) tested to rule out Diabetes mellitus. Since the thyroid hormones levels are normal, there is no need to worry. You can take some vit B12 for some days and see if the symptoms improve.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Suffer shaky trembling sensation, frequent urination and pins and needles. Connected with the thyroid? 2 hours later
Thank you very much Dr Tayal.

I shall ask to have my blood sugar levels tested and start taking vitamin B12.

I have a question regarding your response:
You say that I may have "Abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body and a lack of vitamin B12". Do you mean I need to increase or decrease my calcium and potassium intake?

And I also forgot to mention that I occasional get muscle cramps, particularly in my feet. These aren't very painful, but the muscle seizes up for a few minutes and then relaxes again.

Finally, could my symptoms be connected with any kidney problems? I don't understand the pain in the middle right side of my back.
Follow-up: Suffer shaky trembling sensation, frequent urination and pins and needles. Connected with the thyroid? 1 minute later
Thank you very much Dr Tayal.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Increasing Ca and potassium intake will help.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
You need to increase your calcium and potassium intake. This will help the muscle cramps also.
The pain in the middle right side of the back is likely to be due to muscle pain due to abnormal body posture. This is less likely to be due to a renal problem. However proper investigations will help in ruling this out.
Hope my answer is helpful.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.