Suffer seizures and perimenopausal symptoms. Feeling anxious and depressed. Will progesterone lozenges help?

Do you know any doctors that are willing to consider progesterone lozenges to help with catamenial epilepsy (I started seizures in 2012 at around the same time I started perimenopausal symptoms). I have had approximately 6 seizures and the last ones were in a cluster and I am still feeling anxious, depressed and rather vague about the whole thing. I need a new doctor who will help me try the progesterone therapy tried by Dr A G Herzog in the USA.

I don't really have any medical reports I can send you. All I can say is that none of the specialists I have seen have any idea what is causing the epilepsy. I used to drink alcohol and smoke cigarettes.

I had my first seizure when I ceased alcohol consumption and had no other seizures for quite some time. I had perimenopausal symptoms, a few missed periods, hot flushes etc and then had two clusters of seizures just before my periods.
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2013 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 1 hour later
hi there, thanks for asking. As you mentioned some doctors give progestrone for catamenial epilepsy. It change the seizure threshold for the brain cells. You may use it just during the several days around your menses. Let me know if you have any other question. I wish you a good health.