Suffer restless legs and bad cramps. Take clonazapan. Suggested Quinine. Guide?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am at my wits end with restless legs and really bad cramp waking me 2-3 times a night. I take clonazapan but this is not working any more. My GP has just called after speaking to a consultant, they suggest quinine.... this didn't work 7 years ago when the problem started. I also have tingling / numbness in my big toes and tingling in my fingers. Any advice I am desperate.
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

The possible reasons for tingling and numbness could be
* Peripheral neuritis resulting from Diabetes mellitus. So check your blood sugar levels
* Vitamin deficiencies with special reference to Vit B1,B2 & B12. Get blood level estimations
* Entrapment neuropathies occuring at the level of ankle joint as like tarsal tunnel syndrome
* Lumbar disc disease resulting in compression of L5/S1 nerve root

So you need elaborate investigations to know the culprit for your paresthesias. Consult your physician for the same.

But for the time being to temporarily supress your tingling and numbness, I advise you to take oral formulations of methylcobalamine once daily.

Hope, I have answered your query. Happy to help for any more clarifications.

Follow-up: Suffer restless legs and bad cramps. Take clonazapan. Suggested Quinine. Guide? 27 minutes later
What about the restless legs and severe cramp? and what is methylcobalamine? I don't think your reply was helpful.
I don't have diabetes or trapped nerves the crawling and cramp move quite freely between my feet and knee I think you need to think a bit more or refund my money.... see my Doctor... I have
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 7 hours later

The restless legs may result from many medical conditions and even with usage of certain medicines like antihistamine drugs and antidepressants. I have already spoken about the possible causes in my earlier reply.
Muscle cramps will also occur due to many reasons. A few of them being imbalances in Potassium blood levels (either Hypokalemia or Hyperkalemia), or due to decreased calcium levels in the blood (Hypocalcemia), or simple heat cramp due to dehydration.
Methylcobalamine is nothing but activated and most potent form of Vitamin B12, which has immense role in neurological disturbances as in your case tingling and numbness.
Without undergoing clinical examination and investigations, it is very hard to tell the exact cause for your symptoms, as they are multifactorial.
Hope I have addressed all your issues.