Suffer pyelonephritis. Taking antibiotics. Had surgery. Taking hydrolite, cranberry caps, Vit B and D, E and magnesium. Long term implications?

Just back from seeing the Infectious Diseases Specialist first time since admission for pyelonephritis both kidneys and the infection has left the kidney and gone into the blood stream. The bug was multi resistant and it turned out to be one of those super bugs ESBLl Finally they found the right antibiotic. However the report today states that my kidneys are scarred around 50% and its permanent. Pretty freaky. Pain relief meds had masked the pain. However when I was in hospital I had crushing pain in my right hip where surgery had been performed three months earlier. So I'm taking some hydrolite, cranberry caps, Vit B and D, E and magnesium. Needing a lot of rest at the moment. Its four weeks since I was admitted. Am I going alright? Will I get back to work? What are the long term implications of what has just happened to me?
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Avinash Ignatius 3 hours later
Scarring in the kidneys is usually a result of severe infection. Usually scarring is patchy. This is usually detected on DMSA scan. Even though there are scars, it would be difficult to estimate the exact kidney function unless measured by a DTPA scan.
Normally a 50 % function is adequate for a lifetime. However as there is no extra reserve in the kidney, the function may deteriorate if under additional stress like... uncontrolled sugars, blood pressure and certain commonly prescribed painkilllers (NSAIDs/Cox II inhibitors).
You should monitor your kidney function and watch for protein in the urine at regular intervals 3-6 months.

It would not effect your regular day to day work. Since you are recovering from from a recent infection, it may take 2-3 weeks before you feel as before.