Suffer panic attacks. Having cold seats and heart starts to pound. Taking cymbalta. Help?

I am a 51 year old healthy female . I have always suffered from panic attacks howevere i was able to calm myself down my slow breathing ,meditation. as I have gotten older its not so easy Im an older mother my first child was born when i was 38 and 2nd child at 41 they are very healty and outgoing . I worry constantly well I be here when they need me I dont want to get sick or die at young age. i start to panic break out incold sweat hearts starts to pound . I spoke to my doctor and he said to chill out have a glass of wine and not worry maybe it was menopause . I feel he does not take me serious I need something to calm me down when its an emergency i currently take cymbalta 60mg. Please help !
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 22 minutes later
Thanks for writing in to us.

You might be suffering from generalized anxiety disorder for which you have been given Cymbalta 60 mg (duloxetine) which is a serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI). Patients should be closely monitored for first few weeks while starting on Cymbalta.

It works well for many patients in treatment of anxiety and panic disorders. It would be important to make you aware that in rare situations, Cymbalta (duloxetine) can cause increased heart rate and sinus tachycardia. This may be experienced as palpitations. Infrequently does this further lead to atrial fibrillation and conditions related to heart rhythm.

I am sure your doctor has kept these things in mind while prescribing the medication to you and that your cardiac assessment has been done in complete when you had been to the ER.

Hope your query is answered.
Should there be further queries, please feel free to ask.

Dr A Rao Kavoor