Suffer panic attacks. Have smoking habit. Having pins and needles sensation in arm and legs. Suggestions?

Good evening doctor.

I have recently suffered from panic attacks and was convinced something was wrong with my heart since I am a smoker but have been really trying to quit for the last 3 days now.
Im extremely exhausted most of the time and have pins and needles sometimes in my arm and leg which could be due to phisio therapy. As I was born with a congenital hip. I also feel slightly dizzy at times. Im in Botswana and wanted to ask if there is any test I should be doing to see whats wrong with me as I cannot get answers from doctors here. Manythanks XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
It is very good that you are trying to quit smoking as it is very injurious to health and sooner or later person does get some or other complications arising out of it.
Although at the moment your symptoms do look like arising out of anxiety and panic attacks but there could be some associated problems which should be identified and treated.
You must consult a doctor and get following tests done.
Complete blood count
Blood sugar fasting and PP
Thyroid function tests
Lipid profile
Liver function tests
Estimation of VIT D and BIT B12 levels
Urine microscopy
Once these tests are done,you may consult a doctor for prescription of anti anxiety medicines.
Till you get your tests done,do the following
Do regular aerobic exercises for 45 minutes a day
Deep breathing exercises
Take more of fresh fruits and green vegetables
Avoid saturated fats,transfats,junk foods and colas.
Regular exercises are very good to counter depression and anxiety as it releases endorphins in blood which are feel good hormones.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck