Suffer mod swings, irritable and lack of focus. On Zoloft. What would be the best diagnose?

Hi Dr. Bienenfeld
I have had this symptoms for as long as I can remember through my adulthood. I am a 46 years old XXXXXXX man. Never been on drugs or alcoholic.

Here are some of my symptoms;

mood swings (going from overly excited to the most un hopeful Ina flash)
anger turning to rage (non harmful) - other than harming myself mentally, followed by deep sense of guilt
Always Irritable, and impatient
Overly sensitive to environment not only people but directional light, noise and certain smells
Extreme lack of focus at times then shifting to a noble mind that sees everything so clearly
Feeling of exhaustion after work
Boredom and constantly looking for stimulation to a pint that I can early sit still
Feeling of self hatred and shamefulness
Lack of self worth
I am on Zoloft for 3 years now but it doesn't seem to help
There are days that I feel better but it changes up and down so rapidly that I am not sure if I call it progress. I have been to talk therapies but I get so lost in conversations that I am not sure it helps. I am very expressive and multi dimensional and I normally don't hold back from talking about my inner feelings and I can easily cry which helps me feel lighter in general, but I want to enjoy life as I am a religious person and believe in faith hope and love, hence I love life.

What would be your best diagnose?
Is there scientific explanation, hormonal issues or chronic depression?
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Rapid Cycling Mood Disorder

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
From the symptoms that you have stated it appears that there is a rapid change in your mood from up to down. And its quite certain that you are upset about these changes.
The diagnosis that fits best to your explanation is a rapid cycling mood disorder. However the final diagnosis can be reached only after a personal interview.
Zoloft is an anti-depressant and therapy with only a single anti-depressant may not work. You certainly need to have some mood stabilizer such as lithium or valproate in your regime.
Regarding the explanation of the cause, most of the psychiatric illnesses are caused by problem in the neurotransmitter levels in the brain. These medications basically change these neurotransmitter levels and try to bring back normalcy in the nerve conduction and brain function.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.