Suffer low back pain have severe arthritis. On Neurontin. Have cortisol injections. Can I stop Neurontin?

Excellent

Spine Surgeon
Question
I HAVE BEEN ON NEURONTIN 2400 MG A DAY FOR EXTREME LOWER BACK PAIN for 3 years iHAVE SEVERE ARTHRITIS IN MY SPRINE WHICH CAN NOT BE OPERATED ON MY NEW DR TOLD ME TO QUIT THE NEURONTIN AND GO ON AVENTYL. I ALSO HAVE TO HAVE CORTISOL INJECTIONS IN l4L5 EVERY 3 MONTHS I GET 6 INJECTIONS OVER A COURSE OF 3 WEEKS.. I want to know if avenyl will work as well as Neurontin.i WANT TO BE OFF THE THE NEURONTIN IT MESSES WITH MY HEAD SUCH AS THOUGHT PROCEESES. I DON'T FEEL RIGHT IN MY MIND WHEN I TAKE NEURONTIN

Posted Mon, 29 Jul 2013 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 1 hour later

You have severe spine arthritis and taking neurontin. Neurontin is usually given to manage nerve related pains. Have you tried any local physical therapy? If that helps?

Aventyl can be started but its not a pain medicine and you may find similar problems.

In this case where surgery is not an option, I would suggest you to get a thorough exam from spine specialist and try to pin point the pain generator. If needed, I would consider low dose morphine instead of neurontin.

If possible please upload your spine X-rays.