Suffer loose motions and uncomfortable in abdomen. Had viral fever. Took augmentine. Facing gastric troubles. Suggest

i had viral fever took augmentine duo for that before a week after that i have loose motions till now and very uncomfortable feeling in my abdomen what medicine should i take now. i am facing gastric troubles from so many years i am a male age around 39yrs....
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 21 minutes later
Dear sir,

Thank you for posting your query .

Well looking into your problem I see that you have developed loose stools after taking tablet Augmentin which is a combination consisting of amoxicillin trihydrate and potassium clavulanate.

Gastrointestinal side effects including diarrhea is well known with the use of augmentin. They generally tend to occur at higher doses and subside without any treatment as the medication is stopped. It looks like it is taking sometime to settle in your case.

I advise you take a prebiotic and probiotic supplement along with a multivitamin tablet. Out in India Sporlac or bifilac is a known brand of probiotic. In addition add curd to your meals .

Besides the side effect, the possibility of Closrtidium difficile pseudomembranous colitis should be considered in patients who develop prolonged diarrhea during or following Augmentin therapy. Considering this you are advised to see an experienced physician to ascertain its presence. You may need stool test as well as colonoscopy to confirm pseudomembranous colitis.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other enquiries.

Dr. Shruti