Suffer joint pains after working out. Hip joint pains a lot after sitting. What can this be?

Hi... I have recently retired (April 1st) and have since started a workout schedule that includes every other day, and consists of Yoga (which I love) and Zumba classes. I have also been experiencing several different joint pains which seem to get worse after exercising. If I keep moving, I'm fine. But once I stop and rest or sit down, my pains begin. Especially my hip joints are very painful. It's hard to get up and down and even when sitting, I'm in pain. Is this due to exercise or something else?
Posted Mon, 29 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 1 hour later
Hi there, that seems to be no special issue. Having pain after physical activity is due to the pressure on the joint. The reason that person does not feel it at the time of exercise is that blood circulation is high at the time of exercise. That helps to removal of some substances (like bradykinin,...) from the joint that cause pain to be felt. Some tomes minor or major depression can increase the sensitivity of the body and brain to perceive the pain. It would be useful to be checked by a doctor about any mood issue as well. I wish you the best luck with activity.
Follow-up: Suffer joint pains after working out. Hip joint pains a lot after sitting. What can this be? 5 days later
Is there such a thing as exercising too much? I love to go from one class to another for up to two hours of exercise in one day. Is that okay for someone my age that's been back to regular exercise for the past three months.

Thank you.
hi, it is quite normal. no worries.