Suffer hair loss, thinning hair and also damaged hair. Used vitamins and tonics for hair. Remedy?

Dec 2012

Hi Doctor,

I'm 21 years old, am suffering from hair loss, thinning hair and damaged dry hair. I also used many vitamins and tonics for my hair. But there is no benefit of using. Plus I didn't mention that I'm suffering from this problem from age 14. And each year is getting worse. Could u please advice me what to use
Posted Sat, 6 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

I am Dr. Nsah and I am pleased to assist you.

It seems to me that you are suffering from a chronic form of alopecia. Alopecia means loss of hair from the head or scalp. Compulsive pulling of hair (trichotillomania ) can also induce hair loss. Hairstyling routines such as tight ponytails or braids may cause traction alopecia. Both hair relaxer solutions, and hot hair irons can also induce hair loss. In some cases, alopecia is due to underlying medical conditions, such as iron deficiency Traction alopecia is a form of alopecia , or gradual hair loss, caused primarily by pulling force being applied to the hair (assuming therefore that you are not suffering frim any underlying diseases condition such as iron deficiency anemia, scalp infecrion with fungi, malignancy etc, thia might be the likely cause for your hair loss given your age range). This commonly results from the sufferer frequently wearing his/her hair in a particularly tight ponytail , pigtails, or braids . It is also seen occasionally in long-haired people who use barrettes to keep hair out of their faces.
There are several reasons why you may be seeing more hair in your brush than normal. Vitamin deficiencies, thyroid problems , and menopause are all culprits of hair loss.

Now to answer your question, in order to effectively treat your hair loss problem, you will need to make sure that there is no underlying diseases condition that might be responsuble because if that is the case that will need to be treated first. Nexr, you may want to consider some natural methods of trearing hair loss. You will need to start by consuming/eating enough vitamins and nutrients rather than attempt to apply them directly on your hair (most of the natural hair products being sold in the market are of little value). Protein is important to strengthen hair and promote growth. The recommended daily allowance is about two to three 3-oz. servings of meat or a combination of four to five servings of dairy and beans. Food sources that contain omega 3 fatty acids are highly recommended to enrich hair growth. Iron, zinc and biotin are highly recommended minerals as deficiency could result to fragile hairs.
In summary if you are not naturally in good daily diets, your hair including other body structures will definitely grow poorly. If your hair loss is due to excess production of androgen then your treatment will have to be followed through by an endocrinologist.

Hope this helpa and wish you the best
Dr. Nsah