Suffer from weird feeling at the back of head. Treated for anxiety and depression. On betta blockers. Help?

Question
Hello Dr Grief, for the past 2 to 3 weeks my 19 yr old son has been complaing of a weird feeling at the back of his head. At the moment he is being treated for anxiety and depression, he is on betta blockers 40mg 3x daily and citroplem. for a couple of days he seemed to improve although the feeling in hes head was still there, now however for the past 3 to 4 days he has taken a nose dive and is feeling much worse, the doctor did give him a few sleeping tablets and when he took them he said he felt great apart from being a bit woozie he felt like he had the get up and go to do stuff and the feeling in the back of hes head went. Can u help or offer any advise Please, im desperate to get my son back !!!!
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. David Okia 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
My advice is more medical evaluation

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question.

Based on my experience with similar patients your son needs more evaluation. We need to do computer tomography of head to rule out any brain lesions, blood pressure monitoring, detailed neurological exam by neurologist and psychiatric exam by psychiatrist, blood analysis and urine analysis. After this examination, cause will be identified, managed and headache will be no more.

You need to urgently see doctor who should refer you to Neurologist and Psychiatrist for further examination.

Hope I answered your question will be happy to help you if you have other queries.

Follow-up: Suffer from weird feeling at the back of head. Treated for anxiety and depression. On betta blockers. Help? 1 hour later
Thankyou Dr XXXXXXX Okia for your reply.My son has had a physical examination blood pressure, lights in te eye etc and is awaiting an appointment to see a pyshcologist. My question really is why do my sons symptoms go away as soon as he has a sleeping tablet, he is relaxed , feels good and the annoying feeling in the back of hes head goes.Would he be better off on something that had a sedated affect rather than citlpron and beteblockers? do you really think it could be something more serious then depression and anxiety???

Answered by Dr. David Okia 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sleeping tablets have hypnotic effect

Detailed Answer:
Hi
thanks for your follow up question.
Sleeping tablets have hypnotic effect that is why he feels better however we need detailed psychiatric evaluation and Neurology exam.
From my experience it might not be just anxiety and depression, CT would necessary to rule out brain lesions.
It important for actual cause to be detected and managed before he continues with sleep medication(sleep medication though good have side effects)
Hope I answered your question. Will be happy to helps you if you have more queries

Follow-up: Suffer from weird feeling at the back of head. Treated for anxiety and depression. On betta blockers. Help? 4 hours later
Thank you very much Dr XXXXXXX Okia, I will be taking your advise ..

Brief Answer:
your welcome

Detailed Answer:
hi
thanks for complement