Suffer from vomiting. Prescribed Lupidom and Nutroline-B syurp. Giving ORS. Suggestions?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Hi , My two year son , last 2days back he was suffering from omitting. We have a consultant pediatrician he suggested a 3ml dose of Lupidom suspension 30minites before meal. That's work's very well no omitting now. Also doctor told he may have loose motion, as a precaution he has suggested Nutroline-B syurp.
As per his guess, loose motion (watery) started from yesterday morning. So we have started Nutrollin-B for yesterday morning.

Yesterday's Time XXXXXXX of loose motion : At 10am, 2pm, 8pm, 10pm
Today's : 8:30am.
Looks like Nutrolin-B is not working, In fast O2-suspension has work from him. So can change. AT present our perpetration is not available till evening.

We are giving him ORS also.

Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 51 minutes later
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Your kid is probably suffering from acute viral gastro-enteritis. Most of the vomiting and diarrhea which happen in kids is because of viral cause. There is no need to give antibiotics (like O2) which was given last time for your kid unless your kid has bloody stools or is not responding to other medicines like ORS and probiotics (like neutrolin b).

I think you can safely continue ORS and nutrolin b . In addition do add zinc drops at 1 ml daily for 10 days.

Giving zinc and ORS is the worldwide recommended treatment plan for diarrhoea.
But make sure your kid is passing enough urine 5 to 6 times a day.
If he worsens do consult your pediatrician to get him examined again for dehydration.

Hope your kid recovers soon.
Follow-up: Suffer from vomiting. Prescribed Lupidom and Nutroline-B syurp. Giving ORS. Suggestions? 4 hours later

Thanks for details. My son XXXXXXX had 3 more time loos motion. Its completely water and greenish in color.

Time Today : 10am, 12.30pm and 1.30am (very little ).
His is not taking ORS, My doctor suggested to give him SPORLAC.

What is Zinc drop? can ask for the same in medical shop? What should we give him for eat? Presently we are giving Rice and Idly.

Regards, XXXXX.

Answered by Dr. Arun 11 minutes later
Hi Nayak
Do not worry. Loose stools take few days to settle because the intestines have to recover from the insult and it definitely takes a few days for digestion and absorption to return to normal. Sporolac is again probiotic. I think you can ask for Zinc drops available in various brands like Z & D etc , dose is the same I mentioned before. Do ensure he passes urine adequately. Idly and rice gruel are fine. You can add tender coconut water or any home available fluids . Do restrict cows milk intake. But give him curd, lassi, dal rice etc.
Regards Dr XXXXXXX
Follow-up: Suffer from vomiting. Prescribed Lupidom and Nutroline-B syurp. Giving ORS. Suggestions? 19 minutes later

Regards, XXXXXXX Naik.
Answered by Dr. Arun 13 minutes later
You are welcome Mr Naik.