Suffer from slip disc. Have lower back pain. Having numbness in foot. Given steroid injection at nerve root. What to do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been sufferning with a slip disc problem for over a year. I had lower back pain which subsided post taking 3 weeks of rest. However subsequently, i started having numbness on my left foot. This persisted despite taking full rest. Finally i was given a steroid injection at the nerve root which helped. However, afte 3 months, i again have lower back pain and also have started getting numbness on left foot. Request your advise.
Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
The pain in the back and numbness in the foot is suggestive of a disc prolapse at the level of lumbar spine which is causing a mild symptoms. Medicines are the first line treatment along with physiotherapy for the mild symptoms like you are having.
Since you responded well with medicines 3 months ago, now physiotherapy will help in preventing further progression of the problem.
Right now bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants and methylcobalamin supplements are the first line treatment. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic. You can get these prescribed from your orthopedician.
Local analgesic gels and hot fomentation may provide a short term relief. Exercise is not advisable in the times of acute pain.
Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
Physiotherapy also plays a major role in treating such conditions. Epidural steroid injections have been used if oral pain killers are not very effective and a nerve involvement symptoms are increasing.
Discuss with your orthopedician and an appropriate treatment can be planned depending on the response to medical drugs.
Once the acute pain and numbness subside, do consult a physical therapist for regular exercises to prevent further progression of the problem.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Suffer from slip disc. Have lower back pain. Having numbness in foot. Given steroid injection at nerve root. What to do? 14 hours later
Thanks for your response. Will revert incase I have any further queries after doing the needful for my back.
Will be waiting for any more clarifications if needed.
Wish you an early trouble free recovery.