Suffer from severe migraines. Take Dihydroergotamine injections. Any side effect?

I suffer from severe migraines. They are somewhat contained with a combination of Propranolol, Cymbalta, an anti seizure medication. When I do get a migraine, I treat it with Amitriptylline and if it gets severe enough I give myself Dihydroergotamine injections. The problems is, since I have entered menopause it now appears that I will need to be on a cholesterol lowering medication. Which one would not cause adverse drug interactions or weight gain? XXXXXXX XXXXXXX M.Ed.
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Propranolol & Dihydroergotamine are safer!

Detailed Answer:
Hi Debbieclark,
Thanks for your question.
This is actually a difficult decision on your part as well as for your treating physicians.
The drugs which seem to be effecting adversely your lipid profile & weight gain ( & hence causing difficulty for cholesterol lowering drugs) are Cymblta & Amitrptyline.
The drugs which are safer as far as the serum cholesterol levels are concerned are the other two.
But, I would like to stress that you must not take any decision on your own & please discuss this with your treating physician as they know your detailed history, your health status, your co-morbidities & therefore in a better position to recommend any treatment plan for you.
Hope I made my point clear without disappointing you.
Wish you good health.