Suffer from severe knee pain, cannot straighten leg after getting up. Have gained weight. Suggest?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hello Doctor,

I suffer from severe knee pain. In the morning when I get up, I cannot straighten my leg for a long time. Also if I sit in latrine (indian style) position, it pains when getting up. I had bumped into a concrete pillar when I was in school (when I was 13-14yrs but the pain has just started may be now because I have gain weight in recent times. I fear the pain would be more severe in winter.
Please suggest the course of treatment and exercises for this problem.
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Exercises like quadriceps strengthening

Detailed Answer:

Pain in your knees seems to be due to muscle spasm and stiffness. Gaining weight increases pressure over joint and contribute to pain.

It is advisable to rule out other causes also by taking a Xray of his knee joint. Xray will help us to find out whether your bones are normal or not.

You can take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation.
Apply muscle relaxant gel to the area and after that do hot fomentation to relax the muscles around knee.

Exercises like quadriceps strengthening, swimming, straight leg raising will help in improving the muscle strength around the knee and will help in decreasing pain.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and informative and I will be glad to answer any further query.
Follow-up: Suffer from severe knee pain, cannot straighten leg after getting up. Have gained weight. Suggest? 2 days later
Thanks for the response Dr. XXXXXXX

I have never really taken any pill for the knee-pain. Also its only the right leg knee that gives problem. So I believe its the childhood injury on the knee that is the cause for the pain rather than the weight gain. I am working towards reducing my weight which may help and also would follow your advice on the exercises.

About the X-ray, i believe it has to be a top-view? Please confirm.

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Xray right knee AP and Lateral view required .

Detailed Answer:

Your right knee pain could be due to previous injury over knee. Xray right knee AP and Lateral view required to see any bony changes.