Suffer from severe cold and blocked nose. Sneezing and coughing. Having temperature. Suggest medication?

Hi, I have 5 months baby girl XXXXXXX suffering from severe cold. She has blocked nose, not able to breathe properly, sneezing & couphing. Also water is coming out from eyes. The body temparature also seem to be little more. Could you please suggest some medication?

Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later

Thanks for writing your concerns here.

I think XXXXXXX is suffering from upper respiratory tract infection. At this point of time, the most appropriate action is to consult your pediatrician and to assess the severity and type of infection. This is important because bacterial infection will need antibiotic therapy.

In the meanwhile, keep her warm and hydrated. You can install nasoclear saline nasal drops into each nostril to clear blocked nose and help her breathe. Watch her body temperature using rectal thermometer. If the temperature is above paracetamol drugs like calpol drops can be used in the dose of 15mg/kg body weight.

Hope XXXXXXX recovers fast. I will be glad to assist you further.

Best Regards