Suffer from recurring cold and blocked nose. Takes cetrizen and otrinoz. Having asthma. Help?

gud mrng husband 35 yrs weight 80 kg ..5'9"....suffering from recurring cold ......nose remains blocked and watery at the same time .......takes cetrizen when contious sneezing happens and otrinoz nasal drops for blockage of nose .......also taking homeopathic medicine for asthma for the past 1 and half years .......pls help
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 27 minutes later

I empathize with your husband's concern. It is a common problem among the population. Many people have similar problems due to them being allergic.

Your husband has a similar problem too. He is allergic, his immune system is hyper-reactive and that is why he is experiencing these triggers and attacks subsequently.

The management of this is possible through lifestyle changes. Here are my suggestions to him.

- Cetrizine and Otrinoz nasal drops are old treatment modalities. Ask him to go on Montelukast type of drugs, mast cell stabilizers.

- He must take out the AC from his life gradually. This does not suit him. At least, he must avoid AC whenever possible.

- STAY AWAY from dust.

- He must learn to regulate his body temperature. When he is in cold, he must quickly make himself warm by drinking something hot, taking steam inhalation with Karvol plus.

- As I said, it is a change in the lifestyle that will take care of his problem permanently.

You may want to consult an ENT specialist regarding the same, and be in regular follow up with him.

With these changes, he must be all right by next 6 months.

Let me know if you have more queries.

Follow-up: Suffer from recurring cold and blocked nose. Takes cetrizen and otrinoz. Having asthma. Help? 17 minutes later
what shud he be given for immediate relief as of now ?????? he is been suffering from cold for the past few weeks and is fed up of it ......kindly recommend something for immediate relief
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 18 minutes later

For immediate relief, you can give him inhaled steroid or even Montelukast. Both are prescription drugs, which could be prescribed by a physician only after examination of the patient.

You can give him Tablet Ebast M. This is very effective in rhinitis associated with asthma.

As I said, he must do frequent steam inhalation.

Hope this helps.